NaNoWriMo is just around the corner – yay! I’m so excited because last year was my first year doing it and I had SO much fun. So this post is going to be dedicated to what NaNoWriMo is, how it works and whether you should do it.
Now, personally, I think NaNoWriMo is right for anyone and everyone. I think it’s a great experience, even if you don’t necessarily call yourself a writer. And if you are a writer then you have no excuse to shirk out on this lovely adventure.
First off, let me explain what it is because when I first heard about it I had a heck of a time trying to figure out what this random nonsense word meant and why everybody was so excited about it. NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month and it’s a challenge that tons of people participate in to completely 50,000 words of a novel in the thirty days of November. That comes out to roughly 1,600 words a day. You can go to nanowrimo.org to sign up.
Now, here’s a list of reasons why you should definitely go do exactly that – sign up!
- It’s actually pretty fun. I know sitting down to write 50,000 words in thirty days sounds somewhat daunting, but it’s actually the most fun I’d ever had writing a novel.
- It’s not as hard as you’re making it sound in your head. “50,000 words??? What????” Think about it. 1600 words a day. That’s about the length of a short essay. (And by the way, the editing comes later – the words don’t even have to be good). You can do it!
- This will be the most creative thirty days of your life. Seriously. Thinking up a story, writing it, and fixing it along the way summons so much creativity you don’t even have time to think about anything else besides your novel. The writing will be easier because that’s all you’re thinking about.
- You don’t have anything to lose. The worst that can happen is you don’t finish in the thirty days and you end up with X amount more words to your book. That’s X less words you have to write later!
- Sitting at day 30 with the finished 50,000 words (or completed novel) is the best feeling in the world. I’m not even kidding. I was so relieved and so proud of myself when I finished last year. I signed up as a kind of joke, thinking that I might finish in thirty days. And the fact that I did, made me feel ridiculously good. It’s a lot of hard work, I’m not going to lie, but it’s such an amazing experience.
So, go do it! Go sign up and get to plotting your NaNo novel! Because it’s a great and completely doable challenge, and it’s fun.
Have a lovely day and good luck with NaNoWriMo!